Sunday, May 12, 2013

When Real Crashes Fiction

Welcome one and all to my second blog, and tonight's is a topic that was requested by various people within my e-fed circle of friends and fellow players. Yes, it's another e-fed blog, so if that's not your thing feel free to hit that little X at the top of your browser and be along your merry way; but thanks for the page view though. *cheesy thumbs up*

Now my topic for this blog is all about name dropping of "Real Wrestlers" in our little game of ours with our creations. For those who don't know me all that well in this circle, which as shocking as it sounds, is a few of you I'm sure, I've NEVER liked name dropping of the real world wrestlers into our game. I find it cheapens our creations, it crashes our world's 'party' so to speak and our escape from our sometimes harsh reality is taken away from us. I said this a few weeks back and someone took offense to it and for that I don't apologize for my opinion because that's what it is, it's my opinion and I DON'T sugar coat, EVER! Anyways, the comment I made was this.

"I don't care how great your work was, the second you name drop a real wrestler, you've lost my complete interest in what you've just written."

Is it harsh? Yes, it is; but its also how I truly feel and there are others just like me. Because if there wasn't, I wouldn't be devoting a blog to the subject now would I? See there is a fine line between 'subtle refrences to our real world wrestlers' and just out right saying "I'm the son of "Stone Cold" Steven Austin!" Actually, no, no you're not... because in real life, Austin has no son and our mind's whether you want to believe it or not will go to that cold hard truth and go 'bullshit, Austin doesn't have a son, he has two daughters and an adopted daughter!" and now you've made me lose all interest of ever wanting to become invested in this character.

It would also be like bringing a character into say "The Hortonverse" which for those not in the know are the feds SVW and FFW ran by a good friend of mine, Mark Horton; that's their universe and in that universe, real life wrestlers don't exist. So for the sake of this ideal, you decide to bring in a character, it looks great on paper, a solid gimmick, a great looking picture base, believable moves... the whole nine yards until I read your actually 'history' and I notice this one big and I mean BIG no-no and that is "his greatest achievement to date was being the first man to ever beat The Undertaker at Wrestlemania!" There are two problems with this and I'll explain them both in detail.

Number One: Undertaker is still undefeated at Wrestlemania, sitting at 21-0; our minds will quickly go to this fact and go, you guessed it "BULLSHIT!" It's harsh, it hurts to know it's harsh but I'm sorry, it's the truth. So now once again I'm sadly just not going to be invested in this character because I know what your first promo is going to be about and I'm going to groan, roll my eyes and hit the back key just to escape the eye torture I've just had to endure.

Number Two: This is the biggest one here in The Hortonverse at least.. YOU DID NOT READ THE RULES WHERE IT STATES DO NOT REFERENCE REAL WRESTLERS! So by default if you couldn't even follow that one simple rule; how are we as a community of handlers going to believe you'll follow the fed's other rules? You see what I'm getting at here?

I could go all night in this blog why it's simply just a bad idea to name drop real wrestlers in our game; but I'm going to leave it at this and again it's going to be harsh and you'll need to swallow this bitter pill and get over it.

There's a reason why 'Real Federation E-feds' still exist... you want to rp as "Stone Cold" Steven Austin and beat The Undertaker at Wrestlemania? Go for it in those feds and leave us poor fictional writers alone okay?

This has been another 'Random Amusing of Jer' and as always I thank you for taking time out of your day or night to read my blog. Until next time, I bid you all a fond farewell.




No comments:

Post a Comment